Thanksgiving Pasts

I hope that everyone had a great Thanksgiving.  We did. We had lots of great food and fun.  We started a new tradition after letting our food settle, we had a Just Dance contest.  Chris and Connor were the winners in the adult and children divisions.
I thought that I would share my memories of the California Meneses' first encounter with a Thanksgiving turkey.  We were living at Del Rey Farms, and Uncle Abel was staying with us.  We had been learning about traditional Thanksgiving in school and so we (the kids)  determined that we needed to have turkey.  Of course this was during winter and it was cold and raining so dad had not worked and we had no money.  I can remember crying as if the world would end if we didn't get a turkey.  I think poor Uncle Abel finally had enough and he went out and bought a turkey.  Of course when he brought it home, mom didn't know how to cook it so she cut it all up and fried it.  I think we all thought it was delicious.  
As I look back across the years, I know it was a challenge to mom and dad to learn all about the expectations that come from living in a world where the culture is not the one you grew up with and that you know your children need to learn if they are going to be successful.
































1 comment:

Anonymous said...

East Coast Meneses
Uncle Art,

Connie that reminds me that the stuffing mom first made, when she did bake a turkey, she made it with mexican rice added to the stuffing mixture. I remember hearing Mr farqusion give dad a Thanksgiving turkey and tell him that it was a 35 pound bird and the store guys told him that they had only one that big and that they thought thet were going to get stuck with it. that bird didn't last two days.