Updated Book List

So here's a new rundown with every book ever recommended here at the Meneses Spot.
Scroll down to see the most recent. Alli had an idea to do a book swap at AugustFest. Bring a book or 2 and take a book or 2. How's that, then let us know what you thought right here.

"Bless Me Ultima" - Rudolfo Anaya
"Che Guevara, A Revolutionary Life" - Jon Lee Anderson
"In Cold Blood" - Truman Capote
"A tale of Two Cities" - Charles Dickens
"The Truth" - Al Franken
"Memoirs of a Geisha" - Arthur Golden
"Travel's with my Aunt" - Graham Greene
"The Curious Incident of the Dog in Night-Time" - Mark Haddon
"A Prayer For Owen Meany" -John Irving
"A Widow For a Year" - John Irving
"The Known World" - Edmund Jones
"The Poisonwood Bible" - Barbara Kingsolver
"I Know This Much is True" - Wally Lamb
"Wicked" - Gregory Maguire
"100 Years of Solitude" (and many others) - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"1984" - George Orwell
"I wish I'd Made You Angry Earlier" - Max F. Perutz
"The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" - Mark Twain
"The Secret Lives of Bees" - Sue Monk Kidd
"Call of the Wild" - Jack London
The "Lemony Snicket" Series
"___, Drugs, and COcoa Puffs" - Chuck Klosterman
"chick books" by Cecilia Ahern
"Amongst Women" - John McGahern
"Hope Dies Last" - Studs Terkel
"My Sister's Keeper" - Jodi Picoult
"This Present Darkness" and "Piercing the Darkness" by Frank Peretti
"Until I Find You" - John Irving
"Irresistable Revolution" - Shane Coltrane


As Always Keep 'em coming. . .

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had a lot of time to read while on my present maternity leave. I have read all of the Harry Potter books and really like them! I mean by the time you've read two or three you are really addicted to those characters! I also read This Much I Know is True by Wally Lamb (recommended by Susan) it did not dissapoint, (except the part about the guy losing his kid...for a mom with a new baby that was enough to make me paranoid) Until I Find You by John Irving ( I really liked this one) and The Irresistable Revolution by Shane Coltrane (recommended by Caroline) it was alright...she liked it more than I did. Anyway, how about you guys? Any good reading lately? We should all bring a book to the August fest and let someone borrow it.

aunt_maria said...

I think the book exchange is an excellent idea. It would be nice if people were to write a brief description and to who and why you would recommend the book.

eg. Children's book with great pictures and lots of adventure.

Anonymous said...

Irresistable Revolution is by Shane Claiborne and is excellent! I have also read Blue Like Jazz and give a firm eh, Compassion by Nouwen and McNeill,which was alright. Jim and I both really liked Flags of our Fathers, it was hard to read emotionally, but really captivating. I also read This Much... which I liked a lot and Until I Find..., which I liked after the first 400 pages. Wicked was weird and The Devil wears Prada was disappointing. Those are my latest reads.
Caroline

Anonymous said...

Oh more comments on Children's Books:
Everett and Sawyer currently love:
Where the While Things Are,
I Ain't Gonna Paint No More by Nancy Beaumont

They also love the series books:
Curious George
Dr. Seuss
Caroline
and most Eric Carle books.

Anonymous said...

The last book I read was "the big book of baseball blunders" by Rob Neyer. I found it kind of dissapointing, it uses sabremetrics which can get really boring and focuses less on good stories than I thought it would. I wouldn't recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I have read the first two book in the trilogy called Inheritance, Eragon and Eldest.These are fantasy books aimed at Young Adults. A really great children's book for this time of year is Bats at the Beach. I am trying to work on Bug Mellows for the August party.

Anonymous said...

Man, did our family become a bunch of illiterate slobs or something! We haven't posted any book reviews for nearly a year! Well, I've done a lot of reading so hear goes. I read a book called The Girls about conjoined twins. Pretty good. I also read The Inheritence of Loss, good read. I read Red Letter Christians by Tony Campolo. Pretty good book. My pastor gave me a bunch of books to read, one was by Brian McLaren it was good. I read Blue Like Jazz and Through Painted Desserts by Don Miller really good books, everybody should read them. A book Caroline lent me called Abide By Me, another good book. I guess I'm not a picky reader really, cause I liked all the books I read. Plus a whole bunch of novels to fill in the time between my more serious reads. Anyone else out there still reading?

Anonymous said...

I also liked Red Letter Christians, even though after a while it seems like he's just saying the same thing over again, but it's a good message and could be a good reference book. Stephen Colbert's "I am America: And so can you" is great. But the same critique of RLC applies to this one as well.

caroline said...

I think the book reviews need to be posted on the front page again to revive it. But I just read a very good book - The Traveler's Wife. I highly recommend it, but be sure you can spend a good 8 hours straight because you won't want to put it down.

darrel said...

I'm starting to really like Mark Arax. Well, he has only written three books so far: In My Father's Name, The King of California, and West of the West. I have read the last two. He writes as a journalist--no fiction as yet. You probably have to live in the Central Valley to really appreciate his work. He is a great teller of other people's stories.